Saturday, June 18, 2011

Book 10: In Great Waters (Kit Whitfield)

Reading time: 2 weeks
Pages: 401
Genre: Fantasy/Alternate historical fiction

Ok, I didn't technically finish this one but I will get to that.

In Great Waters follows two main characters, Will and Anne, both descendants of 'deepsmen' (aka mermaids). While Anne is a princess on an uneasy throne, Will a bastard abandoned on land.  Whitfield describes how many years earlier during a war, the deepsmen fought with men and aided them to win. The beautiful Angelica married into royalty and now most courts are inbred and the deepsmen/human crosses are weak. Will is being raised to take power and seize the throne from the current rulers.

Well.... the back of the book sounded better than the actual book. While reading it, I lost interest with Anne, meek and unfeeling besides wanting to see her mother. Will on the other hand is so animalistic with his impulses and the way he thinks it was hard to see him as a character I could root for when it's his time to beat up the king. Lame. I also had a very hard time picturing the deepsmen, described with sharp teeth, long tail, and so far from human, but desirable enough that sailors want to sleep with them on occasion. Sexy. The half-breeds were even harder to picture with legs full of vertebrae, leaving them to walk with canes (yet be stronger than men--OKAY??). So, floppy no jointed legs? Sharp teeth, and strange genitals--surprise!

Grade: F

I guess I have to give it an F because I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I kind of knew what was going to happen, but just couldn't care about it to, which I take as FAIL. I *HATE* not finishing a novel.

+Mermaids?
-Ugly mermaids...
+Creative??????
-Obviously not creative enough if I couldn't swallow it. And I LIKE fantasy. I do :(

No comments:

Post a Comment