Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book #5 : Look Me In The Eye (John Elder Robison)

Reading time: Err... 3 weeks probably. (In my defense, I started a new job!!)
Pages: 282
Genre: NON-fiction

Oo, I got out of my box for this one. I haven't read a non-fiction book since high school, since I can't recall any non-fiction books in my literature classes during my undergrad. Perhaps you too look at 'non fiction' as 'non fun,' but maybe we've just been scarred by terrible NF experiences. I've also heard the term "creative non-fiction" but dislike this since it assumes there is boring non-fiction (except, there kind of totally is...), but hopefully you see my point...?

Anyway.

What's it about? An autobiography by the older brother of the more popular "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs. John Elder has Asperger's Syndrome but grew up before it was diagnosed, and lived quite a turbulent life if I say so.

This novel intrigued me despite its NF-ness because it hits a little close to home. One of my siblings has Asperger's, so I thought this would be a great way to get inside the head of someone with the same disability. Asperger's affects people differently, so quickly I could see this would not be the same as digging my sibling's brain. However, some parts were quite insightful and I don't regret the read!

 I think one reason NF may not excite a reader is that there may be a lack of interesting qualities. Our entire lives are non fiction, so why not get out of the box for a while? Fiction can be molded and spun, while NF has some limitations with how one can describe events and people, but one thing I liked about Robison's novel was that for 1) he did have a very intriguing youth and 2) he's outside the norm. His daily life is not my daily life by far.

Some parts I did speed up through since I'm not a music junkie (he worked for many very famous rock bands since he excelled in sound quality and effects), but some of my favorite parts where when he let the reader inside his brain and thought process. Those were most helpful in understanding an Aspergian train of thought. I also thought he made an excellent point (211):

"As a functional Aspergian adult, one thing troubles me deeply about those kids who end up behind the second door [kids who may not end up able to function in society, John feels he chose door number one when he decided not to give up on people interaction]. Many descriptions of autism and Asperger's describe people like me as "not wanting contact with others" or "preferring to play alone." I can't speak for other kids, but I'd like to be very clear about my own feelings: I did not ever want to be alone. And all those child psychologists who said "John prefers to play by himself" were dead wrong. I played by myself because I was a failure at playing with others. I was alone as a result of my own limitations, and being alone was one of the bitterest disappointments of my young life."

Something to think about next time you see a kid struggling with friendships or the lone children on the playground. John is very lucky to be on the far end of the spectrum though, and after many years of trial and error with people has learned to respond better to social ques and expectations. Something we probably take for granted.

Overall rating: A-

+Very helpful for someone not familiar with Asperger's and how that affects an individual.
-Because John didn't have a diagnosis (wasn't added until 20-some years ago), I think a reader misses out on current Asperger's struggles and possible therapy events nowadays.
+Well written! Dang. Robison has a firm handle on writing and language, and I felt for NF, just the right amount of dialogue, portrayals and thought comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment