Yikes, this one took a while. However, I decided I should not ignore larger books (this one was 475 pages) but alas, should not have taken nearly as much time. I must repent for my slowness.
Reading time: 4 weeks (horrendous)
Pages: 475
Genre: Fantasy
I realize there had been a lot of fantasy books lately, but I think it's what I am naturally drawn to. Oh well. Keeps things exciting. Clockwork Angel follows three teenagers in 19th century London. Beneath the world of average men is Downworld, where vampires, werewolves, nephilium, warlocks, you name it, exist. The Institute, run by the Nephilium (descendants of humans and angels) keep laws in check. When Tessa's brother goes missing, she heads to England after receiving his letter and instead falls into the hands of warlock sisters, discovers she's a "downworlder" with a one of a kind power. Rescued by Will and Jem, two young Nephilium warriors, she lives at The Institute trying to uncover the disappearance of her brother... when Tessa herself becomes tangled in the plot of The Magistar, the evil force behind everything! Dun dun dun.
I give Clare a ton of credit for her research and literature references of London at the time. Another perk to reading this beast was definitely the blend of characters. Tessa gains confidence and learns to see women in a new light (think pre-pants era, WOAH, scandalous!). I personally loved Will, a sarcastic, witty, liar, and play boy with a looming weakness and past we have yet to completely uncover. I just wanted to shake his past out of him--what made you this way! Hilarious, yet mysterious.... Tall, PALE, and handsome...
Then Jem, another "gem" of a character (bahaha, I'm totally not funny). Half Chinese-British, Jem's past is equally interesting (and mostly revealed, but not a moment too soon). However, I have read a book with a similar character with a similar ailment--forced into addiction of a dark and powerful drug. Jem and Will are definitely white and black, in terms both of descriptions of color and personalities, but blend well together when they battle. And, this was definitely a novel packed with some twists in the end. BONUS! YES. I need number two.... sad face.
Overall rating: A-
I know I've had a few lately, but it's true!
+Brilliant characters and personalities
+Excellent research. I wish I wasn't so lazy when I write things...
+Page turner. It wasn't that I couldn't read, it was that I didn't have time between work, finishing class, and sleep. Yep. But I wanted to!!
-Only downside is that since the characters are mostly teens (16-18), it gets the Young Adult label. LAME.

No comments:
Post a Comment