Thursday, October 6, 2011

Book # 13: The Help (Kathryn Stockett)

Reading time: 3 weeks
Pages: 464
Genre: Fiction

I caught on the train a little late of this popular book, but it's popular for a reason. Skeeter Phelan (Eugenia) comes home from college, without a husband, to discover her family's help and the woman who basically raised her, has been fired but no one will tell her why. Skeeter gets to know Aibileen in order to write a cleaning column in the newspaper when she begins to realize the injustices taking place around her.

Stockett I think did an excellent job getting into the shoes of these women. I found I suddenly had time to read a book during my busy life! HUGE PLUS.

Aibileen is a great character from the start, having the experience and wisdom the other maids may not have gained, but Minnie has the spunk you want from the underdog. Their parts were almost more entertaining than Skeeter's. And, let's not forget Miss Hilly Hilbrook. Hilly is that girl of girl each of us knows, the popular and loved, but loved because she's feared. Hilly will ruin you like the mob, ruin  your reputation, your social life, without laying a finger on you. However, Hilly does get some come-upance and drives the book in a sort of blackmail.

Overall: A
+GREAT characters
+Had a hard time putting it down...
+Although fictional, it does give a good picture of a time not too long ago, but long ago in that I hope we have come a long way since then.
-IS THERE A SEQUEL BECAUSE I WANT ANOTHER ONE.

OH. And the film was pretty darn good when compared to the novel. The only difference I felt was strong was the fact that the book takes longer while the movie makes time go by way faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment