Friday, February 4, 2011

Book #1: M or F?

The first novel I officially *FINISHED* was M or F? by Lisa Papademetriou and Chris Tebbett.

This is a teen/young adult novel for starters, but I knew that and sometimes I like that. They tend to move faster and more dramatically than adult 'fiction' and I say 'fiction' with my nose tilted a little. Anyway, M or F? is about a love-triangle/square with three teens. Marcus and Franny (M and F) are best friends, but Marcus is gay. No problem. They are "brain twins" as in that best friend that finishes every thought and sentence out of your  mouth. I think we've all had at least one 'brain twin' relationship, even if it wasn't a BFF/long term one.

When Franny crushes on a guy she can't manage to talk to, Marcus is able to talk to him online through chats and instant messengers easily, of course with Franny standing by. The trouble starts when they begin to question Jeffery's sexuality as well as who's he actually starting to like? Franny? Or Marcus? OOOO!

I will say first, this reminded me of a modern Shakespearian-style love story with the mistaken identity part. Imagine if As You Like It had IM's and the internet...hmm... Then the cross-dressing Rosalind wouldn't possibly have needed her disguise after all. Something to think about in that aspect. Although I was a little let down with the action. Sure, not a lot of ups and downs can happen when the plot is a he-likes-her-but-she-likes-him-who-likes-him!? kind of idea. But then again, sometimes YA novels do reach deep levels of drama/betrayal (oh hormones, puberty, and decision making! what fun). Overall though a fun, I don't like to say 'junk food' because it's not. It's a book but, fluffy without a ton of deeper comprehension. Which is sometimes exactly what you need in a book.

LadyBug rating??

C+
--Average plot
--Average characters with some good right-ons
--Not bad but not the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment