Well it took me a while to read this one since I was interrupted, which I just hate since it takes away from the flow of a good story. This particular book falls somewhere between fantasy and historical fiction I reckon. It's a take of the Trystan and Isolde legend but, to be honest I didn't see much of it in there.
I picked this because I absolutely adore the Tristan and Isolde myth. I even wrote literary analysis on parts of it--woohoo! But as a writer, you can play with that kind of stuff all you want. That is, if anybody else cares to read it.
The novel begins as part two of three, which I'm glad I skipped the first one. I got plenty of lowdown from Isolde about her childhood and past. What threw me for a loop was tying King Arthur and Camelot into her gene pool. Here she is the daughter of Mordred (for those of you rusty on King Arthur and knowing only the Sword and the Stone Disney film.... King Arthur had a son by his sister [whoops, sorry didn't know it was you sis!] and had Mordred) AND Gwenevere (spellings may vary*). So for nerds like me I had to stop and say "WHAT? NO!" before letting it go and keep reading. Morgan, her granny and King Arthur's sister, raises Isolde to be a gifted healer after her mother runs off to a nunnery. What I did like was how Elliot made Isolde and Trystan childhood friends and sweethearts (aw). So no love potion here friends (again, see original myth).
I was impressed by Elliot's details and historic knowledge/research that helped to really ground the story. Especially writing with battle motifs for all the war-lords, mercenaries, and fighting parties because of course no one gets along in Britain after the fall of Arthur. The story mostly follows Isolde's journey of healing herself with Trystan's thoughts on and off. Trystan I feel didn't really change so much as just man-up into maturity. Or at least getting smarter in his reckless warrior behavior.
LadyBug Rating....
B
+Details, details, details! Way to make a suspension of disbelief! I'm there!
-Details...details....neh... I found myself bored and skimming down to the dialogue, the good stuff.
+Creative new twist on a story that's been done!
-LONG twist.... glad I skipped book one and I cannot tell you my relief when that romantic tension gave in with 60 pages left in the entire novel. I guess that's where book 3 comes in but let's be honest, we all know they end up together Elliot. [Well, more or less. See myth]
+Fun without being too fantastical or historical for those readers who just don't like good ol' knights, magic, quests, etc... Battles!! Argggg!!

No comments:
Post a Comment