Reading Time: ~3 weeks (library hold interruptions...)
Genre: Fiction/Crime Mystery
About time I cross this one off my To Read list and put it on my Already Read list. YES.
I was a bit tainted reading this novel, since I saw the Swedish version of the film and THEN was inspired to read the book. So, here's a short recap for the few who have not gotten on the bestseller train.
Mikael Blomkvist is a journalist, got in trouble for libel and couldn't produce his evidence, and gets hired to investigate the disappearance of a 16 year old girl who's been missing for decades. Her great-uncle is desperate to find out what happened to his beloved Harriet, and he's convinced she was killed by a family member on their island that day. Blomkvist eventually is entwined with Lisbeth, the gothic computer hacker, strange woman whom he hires for his assistant.
Someone warned me it was slow to start, and at that time I said I disagreed. Well, at that point I was naive. It is a bit slow, but only if you find the juicy parts about investigative journalism dull. (Ok, some of it was over my head in the interest department, didn't see why, but, not all was a chore to get through.) At this point, my favorite parts were the ones about Lisbeth. Obviously deeper than the author wants to let us know (oh and soo sad Larsson died shortly after his works...).
Much more detailed than the film obviously, I thought the ride was quite enjoyable. I was satisfied until the climax? Can I call it that? When Mikael figures out who the killer is, he's in over his head. Quickly he finds himself the next victim when Lisbeth, luckily, figures it out and comes just in time. After chasing him onto the freeway, he's killed in a crash, boom, just like that! I had to go back and re-read to insure that it was indeed just one page of action. It went on to carry out the journalism revenge, which was mostly satisfying. Last page, not so much, but I assume that's why there are more in the series. I'll definitely add those to my list.Overall Grade? A-/B+. I can't decide. Definitely a good read, but the film satisfied more vengeance. Just the way it goes....
+Awesome characters
-Some journalism jargon?
-Found the killer, no big deal he's dead in like five minutes
+Moooore
No comments:
Post a Comment