Pages: 189
Reading Time: 4 weeks
Genre: Nonfiction
A little ashamed it took me so long to get around to reading a 189 page book, but life happens. I also notice I tend to read about 3 books at any one given time. Whoops. I saw this book at my work and gave in because it was like a whack in the head. The author Theresa Brown, was an English Professor before changing careers to nursing. Helloooo I can totally relate. Just glad I didn't go that far (although I highly, highly considered a PhD in English at one point). Brown chronicles the events that happen during her first year as a nurse. As the stupid cheesy subtitle says, "A New Nurse Faces Death, Life, and Everything in Between." Yep, that was the best they could come up with.
Brown writes well enough, explaining some of the medical jargon she uses, but I was still glad I've taken my pre-nursing classes. After a few chapters though, I was wondering if any of Theresa's patients LIVE. Good grief, she works in the oncology department (no DAD, that's not women and babies <-true quote), so everyone who comes in has cancer. It felt like every patient ends up with a sad story... aiiee...
My favorite chapter may have been when Theresa has issues on her floor with the other nurses' attitudes. She transfered floors and was much happier with the lack of a mean pecking order... Good to know what to expect when I get in there for nursing... Although, I may not pursue oncology. Not sure what the mortality rate is for patients who come through, but from the picture Brown paints, I'd suspect it would be a heavy burden to encounter daily.
Grade: B
+Explains most of the medical 'jargon'
-Not always explains medical...
+Good message (go live it up, buy the piano)

No comments:
Post a Comment