Pages: 374
Reading time: 2 days
Genre: Science Fiction
HOLY CRAP. I haven't been enthralled in an obsessive reading state since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Hence why it was 48 hours. Would have been less, but I had to be social and consume food.
What an interesting concept... in this futuristic distopia, the continent Panam had 13 districts. When District 13 tried to start a rebellion, they were crushed and obliterated by the government. As payback and a reminder of their submission, the remaining districts hold a drawing/reaping of their children 12-18. A boy and girl are selected from each and forced to gladiator it out until one remains alive... 'may the odds ever be in your favor' my butt!
Collins is smart about this concept. You can't have a protagonist as a bloody thirsty gladiator (tribute, they call them). But a hero forced to survive. Katniss is the provider for her family and hunts illegally, giving her a cunning edge over the other contestants with a bow and arrow. Peeta Mellark, her chosen counterpart has had the hots for Miss Wilderness for ages. So, it's kind of crushing when Katniss VOLUNTEERS to go in place of her baby sis. Aw. In the preparation time before hand, their drunken coach, the only winner from District 12 over 30 years ago, urges them to act as if they are starry eyed for each other. This angle hasn't been done
before.... think survivor: some play cunning and backstabby, some try to out wit, over power, etc. But appeal as a love story to the audience? That's new.
I give Collins kudos since she always compels you to read on, each chapter is a cliff hanger to the next. Especially since you want both Kat and Peeta to win, and know there can only be one winner... unless..... maybe they will allow it if both are from the same district! oOooOOO.... plot thickens.
Katniss is very savy in her survival, and even her killing... while the antagonists (the other tributes) are ruthless and cold, the only time Katniss actually shot an arrow into someone was a mix of revenge and self defense. Before that, she sends a nest full of angry bees onto the tributes who have her cornered up a tree, causing the deaths of two... And then there was the explosion she started, that got one dude wacked off too. She's got a heart, she her bond with the youngest tribute mirrors her younger sister. Same age, protective, smaller size, and when she's attacked, Kat goes all mama-bear on the other kid.
Collins is also smart not to name every tribute who gets killed off. Some are given names but luckily, these 22 other characters we have to part with are not humanized too much. Nice job, otherwise this would be one nasty young adult novel... I cannot wait to read the second one, and similarly, a novel called "Battle Royale," that has nearly the same plotline as this story... copycatter. So I will have to find out how close they really are.
+AWESOME writing. I think I only tripped once in a spot I would have edited.
+Good descriptions of this distopia universe.
+Compelling characters. Little Romeo and Juliet minus Juliet actually being head over heels for R.. oops! Still... I see a loooove triangle!!!
+Kat is not bloodthirsty and you won't see her as a murderer. Nice to know when you have to see 1/24 walk out right? Cool.
A+
Like I said, this was as hard to put down as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Suspense gets you. It's unconventional compared to other known plots and worlds. READ IT.
http://jessmindless.deviantart.com/art/Katniss-The-Hunger-Games-205690390 For pic!

No comments:
Post a Comment